Birth control implant is one of the most effective ways to prevent pregnancy eliminating the need to taking pills every day. The implant is a small, thin rod that is equivalent to the size of a matchstick. It is inserted into the upper arm. After proper Implantation, It releases hormones in the body that will protect against the pregnancy for years. But before using it, women must consider the pros and cons of birth control implant.
Listed below are the pros and cons of birth control implant.
Pros of Birth Control Implant
- Birth control implant is one of the safest and most effective forms of birth control that is in frequent use these days.
- Birth control implant can be used by women even when they are breastfeeding as there is no effect on the amount of milk produced by the mothers. Also, there is no side effect to the baby.
- There may be an absence of their period in some women after they have the birth control implant. While other women may experience lighter periods.
- Once you implant the birth control in the arm, it works until it expires or until you remove that. There is no need to visit the pharmacy, no pills to take or no external devices to use before sex to prevent pregnancy.
- There is much hormonal birth control that contains two hormones, estrogen, and progestin. People may have a certain side effect due to the presence of estrogen. Birth control implant contains only progestin and is super efficient.
Also read: Genetic Testing Pregnancy Pros and Cons
Cons of Birth Control Implant
- After Birth control implantation in one’s body, There are few side effects to some women which includes progestin is irregular bleeding. There is frequent irregular bleeding between each period or there is an irregular menstrual cycle.
- Also, some women may experience weight gain, nausea, headaches, and tenderness within the breast. These may happen as the side effects of birth control transplant.
- The birth control implant leads to bone loss in women if the birth control is used for at least one full cycle because the progestin hormone is used for a long period of time.
- Only a qualified doctor should perform the process of implantation.
- The cost of implant birth control is very expensive. It takes about $1,300 to insert it, while the removal cost can be up to $300. It can be may not be affordable for some women.
- Like any other birth controls, the birth control implant doesn’t protect women from the risk of obtaining an STD during intimate contact with a partner.
These are some of the pros and cons of Birth control implant. If you have any questions and queries, please feel free to contact us.